North Carolina fall is right around the corner; plan your getaway with Highlands Vacation Rentals and experience the magic of the season in the Blue Ridge Mountains! Allow the vibrant fall colors to serve as the backdrop for your unforgettable outdoor adventures, from scenic waterfall hikes to fly fishing amidst nature’s splendid palette. Or plan your getaway around fun fall festivals like the annual Cashiers Valley Leaf Festival and celebrate the season’s bounty together. However you want to spend your time, our mountain town offers the perfect fall escape!
Fall Activities in Highlands, NC
Fall colors in North Carolina transition with the elevations. Highlands is located at 4,000 feet, and the best fall colors are usually seen around the second week of October. Keep up with this year’s fall color report before planning your getaway.
- Witness the one-of-a-kind phenomenon of the Shadow of the Bear! Every year from mid-October through early November, a unique shadow can be seen on the face of Whiteside Mountain!
- Hike to scenic waterfalls in Highlands, such as Dry Falls and Bridal Veil Falls. The fall colors views make these waterfall hikes even more spectacular! Read our blog, 5 of the Best Highlands, NC, Hiking Trails, for more hiking ideas!
- Cast a line in the mountain streams and rivers surrounding Highlands for fantastic fall fly fishing!
- Head to the Mountain Theatre Company for The Rocky Horror Show performance this October!
Fall Events near Highlands
Plan your getaway around one of the annual fall events happening in and around Highlands!
- Dazzling Dahlia Festival: Kick off the season this September with the Dahlia Festival downtown, featuring unique floral art.
- Cashiers Valley Leaf Festival: Celebrate the changing leaves in Cashiers for a weekend of artisans, live music, food, and drinks!
- Highlands Food and Wine Festival: Every November, Highlands celebrates four days of culinary delights and drinks in the mountains! Enjoy a variety of food and wine events and catch fantastic live music!
North Carolina Fall Cabin Rentals
Plan your North Carolina getaway in Highlands and celebrate the magic of the season with us! Highlands Vacation Rentals offers the perfect basecamp for fall adventures, with over 90 vacation rentals on the Highlands-Cashiers plateau. Whether you are looking for a property close to town or a home with mountain views, we have something for everyone!