With a population of just over 1,000 people, Highlands, NC, is the perfect destination for travelers seeking a quiet mountain retreat. After a day of outdoor exploration, downtown Highlands, NC, offers the perfect place to unwind. We invite you to stroll down the wide brick sidewalks, find the perfect souvenir at our local shops, and refuel with a mouthwatering meal at our restaurants. Choose Highlands Vacation Rentals as your base camp and spend a day discovering our charming downtown during your Blue Ridge Mountain getaway!
Shopping Downtown Highlands, NC
Explore the quaint shops in downtown Highlands and find the perfect souvenir! Use the business guide and map to navigate your way through the Highlands shopping scene:
- Highland Hiker: Shop here for all your outdoor adventures with their selection of gear, clothing, shoes, backpacks, camping, and fishing equipment.
- Rosenthal’s Boutique: Shop for the latest women’s fashion trends at this charming boutique!
- Dutchman’s Designs: Find the perfect decor for your home, including furniture, lighting, rugs, bedding, home decor, and wall decor.
- Main Street Gifts: Find a gift for every occasion at this local gift shop!
Dining in Downtown Highlands
When you have worked up an appetite shopping, take a break and indulge in one of our local restaurants:
- Calders Coffee Cafe: Start your day with a cup of coffee, latte, bagel, or breakfast sandwich at Calders!
- The Ugly Dog Pub: Enjoy crafted cocktails, regional beers, and elevated pub food at this downtown eatery.
- Madison’s Restaurant: Discover the perfect date night spot at Madison’s and indulge in farm-fresh fine dining. We also recommend Wolfgang’s Restaurant & Wine.
- Mountain Fresh Grocery: Bring the delicious heat and serve dinners from Mountain Fresh back to your vacation rental and enjoy dinner from your rental home!
Discover Historic Buildings Downtown
Highlands was founded in 1875 as a health and pleasure destination. During this time, many homes and buildings were built that remain standing today. Use the Highlands Heritage Trail and take a self-guided tour of our historic downtown!
Book Your Getaway in Highlands-Cashiers Plateau
During your next getaway with Highlands Vacation Rentals, carve out some time to explore downtown Highlands, NC. We offer hotel suites at Mill Creek, putting you just two blocks away from Main Street. Choose from one of the six properties listed and access world-class dining and shopping just steps from your vacation rental!